Monday, November 16, 2009

Lets have a little chat about Kentucky shall we?

At first I had every intention of slapping down a big helping of "I told you so" right now in regards to my preseason comments about Kentucky being overrated. However, before I started this post I watched some highlights, looked at some footage and ran a few numbers and have decided to go a bit of a different direction. Now don't get me wrong, I still think Kentucky is overrated, I still think they proved that against Miami of Ohio tonight, and you can still plan on hearing that out of me all season long. But......

1. Kentucky got another early double double out of Patterson (17 &10)
2. John Wall had a big first game for the Wildcats (he was suspended for taking gifts from an AAU coach, what a shocker) and had the confidence to take the ball up the court and hit a game winning shot without calling a time out and setting up a play. Now that is a lot of guts for a kid playing in his first game in Rupp Arena.
3. They didn't lose. Despite the score, despite being down an unbelievable 18 points at home to a mid-major team, despite not playing well, the Wildcats at 2-0 and did not lose this game. But....

1. The obvious here, this is Kentucky playing against Miami of Ohio. Need I say more? This game should never have even been worth writing about. Instead, it was one of the most exciting games of this young season, that is unless you are a Kentucky fan.
2. Did anyone get a look at Kentucky's free throw shooting? In case you didn't catch that the Wildcats shot a dismal 14-24 (58%) from the charity stripe. You just cant do that, especially at home. Lets see how many games Kentucky will win this season when they shoot under 60% from the free throw line, on the road, in the SEC. But...

I guess after looking at it, the positives for Kentucky out weigh the negatives in the this game. However, I think after this performance a few more people will be joining my, "Kentucky is overrated and hasn't proven anything yet" movement that I have started.

I hope everyone is watching the all night tip off marathon. If you are not turn it on right now! This Cal State Fullerton v. UCLA game is in overtime and its a thriller!

No comments:

Post a Comment